Jan 25, 2012

Krakauer's attitude toward McCandless #4


" As a youth, I am told, I was willful, self-absorbed, intermittently reckless, moody. I disappointed my father in the usual ways. Like McCandless, figures of male authority aroused in me a confusing medley of corked fury and hunger to please. If something captured my undisciplined imagination, I pursued it with a zeal bordering on obsession, and from the age of seventeen until my late twenties that something was mountain climbing."
                                                                       -Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer, page 134

1 comment:

  1. In some ways, Krakauer feels as if him and McCandless are similar with each other. but the similarity that he thinks that they have are mostly from the ways that he was in his youth. just like McCandless, he was very self-absorbed, reckless, and moody. The biggest thing that he believes that they have in common with is the fact that he himself has disappointed his father many times.
    Also, just like McCandless, Krakauer had thought of himself as someone who is very different from others, and as someone who was passionate about his life.

    ReplyDelete